Ph.D. (SUNY, Buffalo), M.E. (MUN, St. John's), B.E. (J.U.,
Centre for Product Design and Manufacturing (CPDM)
Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
Bangalore 560012, India
Tel: +91 80 22932922; +91 80 23601975;
(Structural Dynamics Research Corporation),
Engineering and Locomotive Company),
· Received Indian design registration on an aluminum-based car platform.
· Filed Indian patent application on lightweight aluminium intensive vehicle design.
RESEARCH COLLABORATORS/SPONSORS (Present and Past):
of Technology -
· Tata Motors (Pune)
Mahindra & Mahindra (
· Ford Motor Company (Dearborn. MI)
Aeronautical Development Agency (
· DRDO (New Delhi)
· Product Design
· Design of Automotive Systems
· CAD and CAE
· Crashworthiness of Transportation Systems and Occupant Safety
· Impact Modeling and Testing
· Hybrid Methods in Design
· Design Optimization
· Designed and implemented an instrumented tower-type impact testing machine
· Set up Simulation Laboratory for advanced Computer-Aided Engineering
· Set up Automotive Design Laboratory
(Society of Automotive Engineers)
Standards Board, SAE
· Educational Contributor, FEA Information (www.feainformation.com)
· A. Deb, U. Biswas, J. Ruan and N.K. Gupta, “Evaluation of safety of helmets using a featureless Hybrid III headform”, to appear in International Journal of Vehicle Safety.
· K. Cheruvu, A. Deb, M.O. Neal and J.T. Wang, “Setting vehicle side impact safety design targets using a regression-based approach”, to appear in International Journal of Vehicle Safety.
· A. Deb, A. Naravane and E.C. Chirwa, “An offset rigid barrier-based equivalence of IIHS frontal offset impact safety test”, to appear in International Journal of Crashworthiness.
· A. Deb and A. Naravane, “An improved representation of vehicle incompatibility in frontal NCAP tests using a modified rigid barrier”, International Journal of Crashworthiness, 11(1), 13-25 (2006)
· A. Deb, N.K. Gupta, U. Biswas and M.S. Mahendrakumar, “Designing For Head Impact Safety Using A Combination Of Lumped Parameter And Finite Element Modeling”, International Journal of Crashworthiness, 10(3), 249-257 (2005).
· A. Deb, M.S. Mahendrakumar, C. Chavan, J. Karve, D. Blankenburg and S. Storen, “Design of an aluminum-based vehicle platform for front impact safety”, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 30(8-9), 1055-1079 (2004).
· A. Deb and T. Ali, "A lumped parameter-based approach for simulation of automotive headform impact with countermeasures”, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 30, 521-539 (2004).
A. Deb, N.K.
Gupta, U. Biswas and M.S. Mahendrakumar, "An Improved Lumped Parameter
Model for Vehicle Safety Design Applications”, ICrash 2004,
A. Deb, K.S.
Cheruvu and M.S. Mahendrakumar, “Energy-based criteria for crashworthiness
design of aluminum intensive space frame vehicles”, SAE Paper No.
2004-01-1521, March 2004,
A. Deb, U.
Biswas and C.C Chou, “Effects of unloading and strain rate on headform impact
simulation”, SAE Paper No. 2004-01-0738, March 2004,
A. Deb and C.C.
Chou, "Headform impact safety design through simulation and testing",
SAE Paper No. 2003-01-1386, March 2003,
· A. Deb, C.C. Chou and S.D. Barbat, "An analytical study on headform impact protection space for a rigid target", SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0608, March 2000.
· A. Deb and C. O'Connor, "Prediction of front TTI in NHTSA side impact using a regression-based approach", SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0636, March 2000.
· A. Deb, “Boundary element analysis of anisotropic bodies under thermo-mechanical body force loadings”, Computers and Structures, Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 715-726 (1996).
· A. Deb and P.K. Banerjee, “A variable stiffness type elastoplastic boundary element formulation for planar anisotropic media”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 30(8), 1093-1112 (1993).
· J.J Sharp, A. Deb and M.K. Deb, “Application of matrix manipulation in dimensional analysis involving large numbers of variables”, Marine Structures (Design, Construction and Safety), 5(4), 333-348 (1992).
· A. Deb and P.K. Banerjee, “Multi-domain two- and three-dimensional thermoelasticity by BEM”, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 32, 991-1008 (1991).
· A. Deb, D.P. Henry Jr. and R.B. Wilson, “Alternate boundary element formulations for 2- and 3-D anisotropic thermoelasticity”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 27(13), 1721-1738 (1991).
· A. Deb, M.K. Deb and M. Booton, “Analysis of orthotropically modeled stiffened plates”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 27, 647-664 (1991).
· A. Deb and P.K. Banerjee, “DBEM for general 2D anisotropy using particular integrals”, Communications in Applied Numerical Methods, 6, 111-119 (1990).
· A. Deb and P.K. Banerjee, “A comparison between isoparametric Lagrangian elements in 2D BEM”, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 28, 1539-1555 (1989).
· A. Deb and H.C. Wang, “A point concerning quadratic elements in two-dimensional boundary element methods”, Communications in Applied Numerical Methods, 4, 821-823 (1988).
· A. Deb and M. Booton, “Finite element models for stiffened plates under transverse loading”, Computers and Structures, 28(3), 362-372 (1988).
HONORS AND INVITED TALKS:
Co-Chairman, Safety Test Methodology Session, 2006 SAE World
Congress and Exhibition,
· Member, International Organizing Committee, International Conference on Agile Manufacturing (ICAM 2006), Norfolk, Virginia, USA, July 2006.
Invited Speaker, National Conference on Computer
Applications in Engineering, May 2006,
talk in Symposium on Finite Element Analysis, TeamTech 2006, March 2006,
invited talk in Workshop on Welding of Aluminium organized by the Aluminium
Association of India, February 2006,
citation from SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International,
citations from SAE International in recognition of substantial contributions to
the 2004 and 2003 SAE World Congress,
· Organized and chaired technical session in the International Mobility Congress and Exposition 2005, Chennai.
· Chaired Automotive Crash Safety Design Session at the 2nd Indian LS-DYNA Users Conference, 2003, Chennai.
invited talk at the Department of Machine Design and Materials Technology, NTNU
papers in international conferences in
Ford LVC (Large
Received 1997 Award of Excellence from Ford Motor Company,
Award for Excellence (1994) from SDRC,